Sunday, June 29, 2008

Duvet Ribbons

One of the downsides to having a double bed rather than a queen is that when I buy bedding/linen they are always "double/queen" which really means that they are queen size but they will sort of fit on a double... except for the part where they are too big.

One of the main motivations for getting my sewing machine was so I could resize my duvet covers. I figure, that's about as simple as a sewing job gets - slice off the extra fabric, sew up an edge, wham, done. And it was that easy. While I was at it, I fixed another thing that drives me loopy... the fact that the duvet shifts around in the cover.


The fix was stupidly simple:

I sewed a bit of ribbon to each corner of the duvet (nice and securely):

Then I sewed a bit of ribbon to each inside corner of the duvet cover (nice and securely):


Then I put the duvet in the cover and tied pretty bows at each corner:Now my duvet cover is a proper Double size and it stays in place. Life is good.

1 comment:

Rhiannon said...

I still think this is about the most brilliant thing anyone has ever thought of. Seriously, YOU'VE CHANGED MY LIFE!