Thursday, August 28, 2008

Preparing to Weave

I'm getting ready to put a project on my loom finally !   

I recently got a book from the library that I had requested ages ago - it's Anne Dixon's The Handweaver's Pattern Directory and it was published in 2007!   And it's in full colour!!   

I've been so frustrated by the fact that all the weaving books are from the 70s and 80s and are stylistically of no interest to me (in fact, they're almost enough to turn me off weaving all together) and are mostly in black and white when what I really need is help understanding how colours blend together in the different weaves.  This new book is exactly everything I've been wanting - 600 weaving patterns for 4 shaft looms with full colour pictures of every single weave.   Fabulous.   I had to use my other book Learning To Weave (Chandler) to help me understand how to read the drafts (the symbolic explanation of how to set up and work the weave) but I think I've got it now.

I had picked out an awesome pattern (an undulating twill) that looked just complicated enough to be fun without being way over my head (ha, famous last words) but realized that the yarn I have on hand isn't really suitable for that so I'm back to the drawing board to figure out what is appropriate for the yarn I have... while also shopping for yarn to do the fun pattern.   In any case I really hope to start warping this weekend - fingers crossed!

2 comments:

siobhan said...

That is so awesome, that you have a loom! I can't wait to see the results.

Also, did you see that this month's issue of Craft magazine is all about weaving and looms?

Siobhan

Lisa said...

I heard that Craft was about weaving this month but still haven't checked it out - pretty cool that weaving is getting some notice (and hopefully some increase in coolness because there is a lot of.... uh... old style stuff out there in weaving)!